Wakame seaweed and tofu are not only important ingredients in miso soup but are also in of a vast number of other Japanese dishes from salads to noodle soups and hot pots. Low in fat and calories and high in vitamins and protein, wakame seaweed and tofu are great foods for keeping in top condition.
This Wakame & Tofu Salad recipe will show you how to create a healthy, delicious and refreshing salad packed with Japanese flavours. As wakame seaweed and tofu both contain friendly nutrients and few calories this recipe is a perfect light meal on a hot day and will help keep that figure trim!
• 1 packet Firm Tofu
• 20g Seaweed Salad Mix
• 1/2 Cucumber
• 1/2 Avocado
• 50g Cherry Tomatoes
• 100g Watercress
• 2 tbsp Ponzu Citrus Seasoned Soy Sauce
• 1/2 tbsp Sesame Oil
• One pinch White Sesame Seeds
Recommended drink: Chinese Oolong Tea
How to prepare
- Begin with peeling and cutting the cucumber and avocado into strips. Reconstitute the wakame in cold water and drain well. Cut your tofu into bite-size cubes.
- Grab a salad bowl and add the wakame and watercress. Mix before adding the tomatoes, cucumber and avocado. Finish by adding the ponzu and sesame oil and mix again.
- For the final step, simply add the cubes of tofu and stir. Give a subtle sesame crunch to your salad with the sesame seeds. Serve as a starter, side dish or light lunch with a bottle of refreshing 0 calorie oolong tea.
Tips and information
- Wakame, a type of seaweed, must first be soaked briefly in cold water before using. Drain it thoroughly before adding it to other ingredients.
- If you have time, leave the tofu to soak in water for about 30 mins to reduce the aroma of the soybeans.